September 9, 2015, 7:30PM, University of Victoria, Bob Wright Centre A104 – RASC Victoria Centre’s monthly meeting
“The Search for Alien Life in the Universe” – Dr. Jon Willis, UVic professor
Abstract: Do aliens exist and how are scientists proposing to find them? No, not a journey into the X-files of science fiction but a presentation of the science of astrobiology: the scientific search for life beyond Earth. However, within a 45 minute talk we have to get our priorities straight. This talk will not offer a reduced Shakespeare company-style overview of astrobiology. Instead I will focus on my top two picks for future success and discuss these in detail.
Streaming broadcast and later recording of meeting, including presentation (on Youtube)
Bio: Jon Willis is an Associate Professor at the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Victoria.
- BSc. in Physics and Astronomy from the University of Glasgow (1995).
- PhD in Astronomy from the University of Cambridge (2000).
- Post-doc at the Catholic University in Santiago, Chile. (2000-2002).
- Science Fellow at the European Southern Observatory, Chile (2002-2003).
- Professor at the Department of Physics and Astronomy, UVic (2003-present).