On July 12th Victoria Centre’s Council approved a plan to replace the telescopes currently in our observatory with new and improved optics. The Technical Committee’s plan includes replacing our existing Meade 14” SCT and Tele Vue NP 127is apochromatic refractor with a 16” F/8 Ritchey Chretien (RC) optical system. The new gear will be mounted on our existing Paramount ME mount, giving us a simpler setup that is actually a bit lighter than the old configuration.
The cost of the new RC telescope and accessories will be about $14,000, depending on the US$ exchange rate. Most of the gear will be purchased from OPT Oceanside Photo & Telescope in California, since they sell their brand TPO Ritchey Chretien telescopes at very attractive prices, and we took advantage of a recent sale price. We expect to eventually sell our surplus instruments and accessories, but will keep the current setup in place until the new gear arrives and is installed, in order to maximize the availability of the VCO to members.
We will fundraise from our members to directly offset the upgrade costs, since Victoria Centre Council originally budgeted $9,000 for the upgrade some months ago.
- Improved cool down time
- new RC is a truss design open tube giving good airflow around the primary optics,
- old SCT is a closed tube design with a corrector plate restricting air flow
- Improved guiding accuracy
- new RC system will use an in-line off-axis guider,
- old SCT system uses a piggyback-mounted telescope for guiding
- Improved pointing accuracy
- new RC system has a fixed primary mirror,
- old SCT system suffers from primary mirror flop
- Improved light gathering and resolution
- new RC system has a 16″ primary mirror
- old SCT system has a 14″ primary mirror and a corrector plate
- Easier operation
- new RC system is a single optical tube that will be used for guiding, imaging and observing
- old system included an SCT, a Hyperstar f/2 attachment, a 127mm apo-chromaic refractor, and a guide scope, all mounted piggyback and in a custom cradle
- We wish to enter RASC’s 150th year in 2018 with a first-rate observatory!
Our target is to raise $5,000 from members over the next few months. Tax receipts will be issued for all donations.
Joe Carr is our fundraiser, so please contact him for questions about the new telescope or to donate – email or telephone 250-294-1992.
Bruce Lane is our Treasurer, who will issue tax receipts and account for all donations to Council and members – email.
The first fundraising event was held at the RASCals Star Party on Saturday, July 29th at 2PM in Metchosin House. Thanks to everyone who donated so generously – we are already over half way to our target!
VCO Upgrade – fundraising slideshow – 1.8Mb pdf
- 16″TPO RC telescope US$5,596.00
- Shroud US$89.00
- Field Flattener US$309.95
- 3.5″ Feather Touch Focuser US$755.00
- Starlight Focus Controller US$289.00
- Guide camera US$429.00
- Off-axis guider US$239.00
- Starlight Focus Motor US$549.00
- Accessories and adapters US$300.00
- Shipping US$500.00
- Contingency US$500.00
- Sub Total US$9,555.95
- Sub Total CD$12,500 (approximate)
- Tax 12.00% $1,500
- Total $14,000 (approximate)
- Meade 14″ SCT $2,000.00
- Hyperstar f/2 $500.00
- Cradle $300.00
- Tele Vue NP127is $5,000.00
- Total $7,800.00
Estimated Net Cost after sale of surplus $6,800
Please note that proceeds of the sale of used astronomical equipment is highly variable and can take many months. RASC Victoria Centre and then all RASC members will be given first chance to purchase our surplus equipment. Please contact Joe by email or telephone 250-294-1992 if you are interested.