The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and the Royal BC Museum present
International Astronomy Day
at the Royal BC Museum
Saturday, April 21, 2018 10AM to 4PM
Amazing Astronomical Activities for all Ages!
Poster (408k PDF) – please spread the word and stick a reminder on your fridge
All Astronomy Day activities are FREE and available to the general public. Membership in RASC is not required.
Regular admission applies to the Royal BC Museum and IMAX Theatre.
Royal BC Museum – 10AM to 4PM
675 Belleville Street, Victoria
- Interactive activities and displays both inside and outside
- View the Sun safely through solar telescopes on the plazaa
- Telescope mirror grinding – inside
- Astrophotography – inside
- Hands-on activities for the kids – inside
- Presentations in Newcombe Auditorium
- 11:00 AM –
Speaker: Dr. Samantha Lawler, NRC Herzberg Astronomy & Astrophysics Research CentreTitle: Planet 9 or Planet Nein? Discoveries in the Distant Solar System
- 12:00 PM – Knowledge Network Space SUITE I
- 1:00 PM –
Speaker: Dr. Patrick Coté, NRC Herzberg Astronomy & Astrophysics Research CentreTitle: CASTOR: A Flagship Canadian Space Telescope
- 2:00 PM – Knowledge Network Space Suite II
- 3:00 PM – Knowledge Network Space Suite III
- 11:00 AM –
Centre of the Universe and the Observatory – 7:30PM to 11PM
Observatory Hill, 5071 West Saanich Road, Saanich
- Plaskett telescope tours
- Observing through telescopes
Speaker: Daniel PoseyTitle: Gateway to the Stars: Science, Civic Identity, and Tourism at the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory (DAO), Victoria B.C. 1903-1941
- Only holders of (free) tickets will be admitted to this evening event!
- Reserve your tickets (one week prior to the event)