Thank you for picking up a complementary copy of Canada’s astronomy magazine, SkyNews. We hope you are enjoying reading it.
The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) is the main Canadian organization for those interested in astronomy. There are centres of the RASC across Canada and there are around 5,000 members.
RASC membership comes with a number of benefits. Members receive the following publications: an annual Observer’s Handbook and 6 copies of SkyNews magazine. As well there are online publications such as the Journal of the RASC (also available in print), and the monthly Bulletin.
Being an member of the RASC Victoria Centre comes with many extras as we are an active centre. There are opportunities for:
- Spending time with enthusiastic people who share your interest in astronomy
- Learning even more about astronomy
- Learning to navigate the night sky, including completing observing certificate programs
- Learning how to photograph the sky from experts as you can see from our member photos
- Learning about light pollution abatement, sky quality, and responsible light fixtures
- Participating in public outreach events to share your passion with others
- Learning about and using different types of telescopes
- Using our club-owned observatory
- Borrowing club-owned telescopes
- Borrowing books from our extensive astronomy library
Some of the activities of the RASC Victoria Centre include:
- 9 monthly meetings at the University of Victoria
- Weekly sessions at the Victoria Centre Observatory (weather permitting)
- The weekly Astro Café where there are informal talks and sharing of observing and photography (September to May)
- RASCals of Cattle Point – monthly observing sessions at the Cattle Point Urban Star Park (weather permitting)
- UVic Telescope – monthly observing sessions for centre members using the UVic 32″ telescope (weather permitting)
- An annual Star Party in Metchosin where you can camp out and look at the sky all night.
- Many outreach opportunities including our booth at many community events, the star parties at the DAO, and the schools program.
We hope you will join us!